Ottawa School Day Nursery Inc. is committed to the protection of the personal and health information of its clients, partners, and stakeholders. On January 1, 2004, the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and, on November 1, 2004, the provincial Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) came into effect to regulate organizations that collect, use and disclose personal and health information in the course of commercial activity.
What is personal and health information?
Personal information includes any factual or subjective information, in either oral or written form, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual. This includes information in any form, such as a person's e-mail address, food allergies, health information (including drug prescriptions), age, home address, etc. It does not include the name, title or business address or business telephone number of an employee of an organization.
Who is responsible for protecting the personal and health information collected, used, and disclosed by Ottawa School Day Nursery Inc.?
Why does Ottawa School Day Nursery Inc. collect or use personal and health information?
OSDN Inc. is committed to providing quality, dependable and inclusive childcare to meet the diverse childcare and early learning needs of families and children. To meet these goals, OSDN Inc. collects, uses, and discloses personal and health information for the following purposes:
Provision of service:
- To determine eligibility for our services
- To assess the needs of each child, and ensure that these needs are met
- To ensure the health and safety of all children using our services
- To identify the children and their families ("clients") who use the services of OSDN Inc.
- To ensure we communicate with the appropriate parent/guardian for each child in our care
- To promote new and existing programs and services to our clients
- To ensure prescription medication is dispensed appropriately.
- To administer our programs and services (attendance reports, time sheets, etc.)
- To collect payment for services
- To ascertain the qualifications and suitability of volunteer applicants
- To distribute limited municipal subsidies for children
- To confirm entitlement to medical-related benefits
- To accommodate disabled employees
- To manage workplace accidents
- To generate statistics on services and programs provided by OSDN Inc.
- To generate statistics on the childcare needs of families in the City
- To report use of childcare subsidies to the City
- To report to non-mandatory benefits supplier any issues that may affect benefits
- To periodically undertake fundraising activities to enhance programs for children and families
- To meet statutory, regulatory and contractual requirements relating to the services provided to our clients
How do individuals provide their consent for the collection, use, and disclosure of their personal information?
Parents provide their personal information through the registration/wait list process. OSDN Inc.has access to the personal information provided by the client that is required to fulfill the purposes stated above. A client may withdraw their consent at any time upon reasonable notice, subject to legal or contractual restrictions. Please note, that due to our statutory and regulatory obligations withdrawing consent may affect our ability to continue to provide a client with the services that have or would like to receive.
Does Ottawa School Day Nursery Inc. disclose personal information?
We disclose personal and health information:
- With parental consent, to OCDSB and teaching staff of the OSDN Inc.to enable them to provide services to the children in their care and to ensure the health and safety of those children
- To institutions providing OSDN Inc. with banking and benefits services
- To our auditors
Unless required to do so by law, OSDN Inc. does not currently disclose the personal or health information under its control to any other parties. It does not trade, sell, barter, or give away its client information to anyone. Should it be necessary in the future to make such a disclosure, OSDN Inc. will only do so with the express consent of the individuals involved.
How much personal and health information does Ottawa School Day Nursery Inc. collect, use or disclose?
OSDN Inc. collects, uses and discloses the personal and health information it requires only to fulfill the purposes listed above, and no more.
How long does Ottawa School Day Nursery Inc. retain personal and health information?
OSDN Inc. retains personal information for as long as it is required to fulfill the purposes listed above. For example, the Day Nurseries Act stipulates that OSDN Inc. keep a child's file for two years after they have been discharged from the program. The Canada Revenue Agency requires OSDN Inc. to keep financial records (e.g. childcare billings) for six years plus the current year.
How accurate is the personal and health information collected, used and disclosed by Ottawa School Day Nursery Inc.?
OSDN Inc. makes every effort to ensure that the personal and health information it collects, uses and discloses is as accurate and up-to-date as is required to fulfill the purposes listed above. If an individual's personal or health information requires amendment, they need only contact OSDN Inc. to ensure that the correction is made. When a file is no longer needed, either it is destroyed or all personal identifiers are removed in such a way as to prevent accidental disclosure.
How secure is the personal and health information stored at Ottawa School Day Nursery Inc.?
OSDN Inc.is committed to ensuring that personal and health information is protected from unauthorized access, unintended disclosures, or theft. This protection is provided by firewalls in the computer system, passwords to protect databases, encrypted e-mail, locked cabinets, and limited access to certain work areas. Only the Privacy Officer and delegated individuals have access to this information.
How can individuals access their personal and health information held by Ottawa School Day Nursery Inc.?
Individuals have a right to access their own personal and health information in the possession and control of OSDN Inc. They also have a right to know if their information has been disclosed to any third parties. If individuals wish to access their personal or health information, they need to contact OSDN Inc. in writing at:
20 Rossland Avenue
Ottawa School Day Nursery Inc. reserves the right to charge a reasonable fee for the copying of this information.
How can individuals relay their concerns about their personal or health information held by Ottawa School Day Nursery Inc.?
112 Kent Street
Tel: (613) 995-8210
Toll free: 1-800-282-1376
Fax: (613) 947-6850